Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Paper & Scissors

Su Blackwell's artist statement:
"Paper has been used for communication since its invention; either between humans or in an attempt to communicate with the spirit world. I employ this delicate, accessible medium and use irreversible, destructive processes to reflect on the precariousness of the world we inhabit and the fragility of our life, dreams and ambitions."


As someone who loves paper and the written word, I admire how Blackwell's sharp knife does not destroy, but rather preserves the essence of these old discarded books

Like the stories of my childhood, these creations transport me to imaginary places in imaginary times and ultimately create so much more rather than they destroy.

You can fall down the rabbit hole with Alice or sail around the world in search of adventure...

This last piece reminds me of my father when I was little using his hands to make animals & birds from the shadows - dispelling the fears that darkness can bring and filling it with wonder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wonderful! an view into an interior world.. A Fairy Tale of paper