Tuesday, February 2, 2010

out of the ashes

I'm very excited to be back in school learning new skills in the Interior Design & Architecture program through U.C. Berkeley! The semester started out last week with my first Elements of Design class and this week I add Drafting! I thought it might be fun to resuscitate Out of Paper and keep anyone who's interested abreast of what I'm doing and things that inspire me as I begin new projects.



Many of you are probably familar with the Ashes & Snow exhibit that toured the world from 2005 till 2008 beginning in Venice and coming to New York and Santa Monica before travelling to Tokyo and Mexico City. I have been thinking about it from a design point of view because while I find the photographs visually stunning and inspiring I am also fascinated by the housing of the tour in the very crates it was shipped in as well as the books one can buy- the images are beautifully bound in Nepalese handmade paper and tea-stained rope that incorporate the respect for the humanity & the wildlife that Gregory Colbert's photography embodies.

I love how these images tell a story that is dreamlike and universal but at the same time very intimate and personal - inspiring!
Here is Gregory Colbert enjoying a moment with one of his models. This is the stuff that dreams are made of!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does he do it? He really taps into that space between the human and the other animals

Tina said...

I saw Ashes and Snow in NYC. Thank you for reminding me of that glorious day. Love.