Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New Zealand - Once were Warriors

Once Were Warriors

I've been thinking about New Zealand a lot lately where my father was born & raised. This is Milford Sound - possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Of course one thinks of the funny looking flightless bird and the proud warriors rowing their canoes out to meet Captain Cook - my dad used to tell me and my brothers Maori folktales and spoke quite a bit of the soulful vowel-laden language.

My grandmother would send me tikis made from green jade like the one above and paua shell pins made from abalone that lives in the waters off the coast.
My dad grew up on a sheep station and went to Timaru Boy's School on the South Island.

He often compared Northern California when I moved here to New Zealand as their growing seasons are very similar and I love kiwi fruit!

No comments: